Sunday, March 27, 2011

Prayer for Serenity by Eunice Jones

The late Eunice Jones left behind a whole collection of poetry. She won first prize in a high school competition and had a love for poetry ever since. She won awards for her work from the Missouri Arts Council in the 1980's and 1990's. Here is a sample of her work:

I've dwelt too long with sadness
He haunts my every hour
Wouldst I could soar in gladness
Escape that awesome power.
'Though storms may break tomorrow
With cruel torrential hail
And crash my world to pieces
In wildly shrieking gale
Just for today, Oh blessed sun
Shine soft as thistle down.
Serenity...encircle me
Within your golden crown.

Poems by Ms. Jones and many other local writers are in the book "Streams of Poetry" by Carol Parman. To order, write her at RR 4 25533 170TH RD, GRANT CITY, MO 64456.

No comments: