Friday, November 9, 2012

Letter to the Editor -- Veto-Proof GOP Majority in Missouri Legislature

To the Editor:
 
The election season has finally ended, and soon the governing season will begin again in earnest. While public policy will continue to drift leftward at the national level, Missouri freedom lovers do not have the luxury of wallowing in their disappointment.
 
Starting next year, the Missouri Republican Party will have veto-proof majorities in the state House and Senate. What will it do with that power and responsibility? What will it fight for?
 
Well, I know what I will fight for. I will fight to put an end to Missouri’s decade-long love-affair with failing tax credits. I will fight for an end to the corporate income tax to make the state more competitive. I will fight to empower doctors and patients, not the government. Missouri must do better than it has on these issues.
 
More importantly, supporters of liberty must ask themselves: “What will I fight for?” The state will be moving next year. The question is, in what direction? We cannot stand on the sidelines. We all must fight on.
 
Patrick Ishmael
Policy Analyst
Show-Me Institute

No comments: