Sunday, November 25, 2012

Obituary -- Guy "Bud" Allee 1929-2012



Guy Leland Allee, or Bud as you all knew him was born on December 2, 1929 in rural Sheridan area to Edmond Guy and Weltha Marie Carr Allee. He joined sisters Maryon and Joanne and later by Beverly, Doy and Martha. He attended rural schools until high school then graduated from Sheridan High School in 1947. After graduation Bud worked in construction in Wyoming then returned home to raise turkeys with his father. In 1951 he joined the Army and served until 1953 with one year of service in Japan. Upon his return he again raised turkeys and farmed. In 1954 he was united in marriage to Willa Pennington and thus began their 58 years together as partners in life. He also was a rural mail carrier and postmaster of the Sheridan post office but always remained a farmer.
     Those are the statistics…. Now let me tell you about the man I knew.
     From the stories I gleaned through the years, Dad was born ornery and stayed ornery….stories of his pranks are legendary! His sisters all would attest to the fact that the sole purpose of having pigtails was for him to pull and yank on! He would also take them to town on Saturday night so they could have a big night out…only problem was that he would also have a big night out and on several occasions, leave them stranded on a bench in front of a store waiting on him to pick them up…and wait they did…for hours! There were many stories of antics he and the Batt boys pulled off…one of which landed him in the hospital in Colorado after he and “Lily” crashed their motorcycles. Growing up, many stories would leak out of things dad did in his youth, and I can remember thinking, that can’t be my dad….those things sounded like fun and like something I would do and get grounded for! It was quite a turning point when I realized my dad wasn’t just the dad I knew but he was also a kid that knew how to have fun for I was quite sure there was no fun in him because he always seemed to want to squash any ideas I had for fun!! And besides, he always walked 10 miles to school, uphill both ways and worked from sunup to sunset everyday…there was never any time for fun…but I finally found out different and gained a new prospective on the man I knew as dad.
     My dad was my hero. I would always tell him that no matter what, I was his favorite daughter…he simply had no choice in the matter! I loved spending time with him….we were fishing buddies, mushroom hunters, his mechanical assistant and his sidekick anytime I could go with him to do chores. My dad could fix anything and do anything. He was mostly a self taught carpenter, electrician, and was a master improviser. If he needed something he just simply built it. My dad was the most self reliant man I knew and probably will know. Sterling and I would be rich today if I had a nickel for everytime I told him, “well my dad can fix it!” For better or worse, depending on who you ask, I most assuredly am my father’s daughter.
     Dad was a lover of knowledge. As a kid I would look at all the books my dad had purchased and I thought he could ready them all.. But he did…and many many more. His memory was impeccable and he could recall nearly every word he read. He belonged to the Masonic Lodge and held many offices that required tons of memorization for the lectures he would give and he was widely known as the man who knew his stuff! When I was a teen still at home, he decided he wanted to become an amateur radio operator. He learned Morse code and built his own radio from a kit. Later while in his mid 60’s he decided he wanted to fly an airplane. He took lessons, got his license and bought a plane. This was a hobby that he and my brother Steve enjoyed together.
     The family farm was very precious to dad and remained so to the end. He and mom build their lives around the farm and were partners in every sense of the word. They worked side by side in the fields and raised livestock for most of their married lives. We three kids also worked with them as a family and lived a great life on the farm.
     Dad loved his family very much. He still remained a kid at heart as he played pranks on we 3 kids and mom too. There was the time he threw a firecracker up my stairwell to get me out of bed…goofy songs he made up and would sing, most famously his “good old fashioned swine work” song….chasing cows was always an adventure with dad, we always  considered ourselves fortunate to have survived each chase. One of his most famous pranks was on Christmas one year. We had to save the best gift until last which according to him was the one he got mom. She had to stand with her eyes closed until he brought it out. And there, wrapped with a big red ribbon was a throne…the porcelain kind!!!! That to me ranks the most original Christmas gift ever!! He suggested we take a little patch of land by the farm and turn it into a small camping area which is known as “Papa Park.” The best part of summer was going to Papa Park for gatherings. Some of the best times as a family were spent there. He had nicknames for everyone and I do mean everyone! I know his nieces and nephews would agree…isn’t that right Singbong, Kinky Katrina, Kyle Rote and little Timmy? And for those of you who are old enough to remember the tv show “Dallas….” There was a cliffhanger episode that posed the famous question, ‘who shot JR?” The answer to that question wasn’t Kristen Sheperd….it was my dad! Really!! He and his cousin JR Peyton went hunting in their younger days and on one occasion there was an “oops” and JR ended up being shot in the knee. So even before the famous question was asked, we already had the answer!!
     Dad was very interested in the community. He was a member of the American Legion, Masonic Lodge and Order of Eastern Star, Sheridan Christian  Church, a founding member of the Community Betterment Club and Rural Housing Board and was instrumental in building the Sheridan Villa Apts. After moving to Sheridan he became mayor for several years and made many improvements to the town. He became very involved with geneology and has left behind a treasure of information for his family and others who are searching for their roots.
     Dad remained in good health for several years despite how he neglected his health. He remained a farmer at heart by raising a small garden in town and still enjoyed fishing. His family remained his biggest source of joy and comfort. This past June dads health declined to the point that he needed extra care and entered a nursing home in the Maryville, area. He was well cared for and loved by the staff at Nodaway Nursing Home and by staff of SSM Hospice.
     Dad passed away on November 21 with his son Christopher by his side. He leaves behind his wife, Willa sons Stephen and his children, Elise, Alex and Bailey, daughter Chandra and husband Sterling and their children Caleb and his wife Cassandra and son Corbin, and daughter Chelsey, son Christopher and wife Tamara and daughter Gracie,  Christopher and his wife LaRue and their children, Nickolas and Lindsey. He is also survived by sister Beverly Mayes and brother Doy.
     The family would like to express their love and thanks to the Nodaway Nursing Home and to SSM Hospice for their loving care….with special thanks to Kelly Colwell of Hopice. Thanks to the Christian Church for all they have done.
     Funeral Services were 10:30 A.M. Monday, November 26, 2012 at the Sheridan Christian Church in Sheridan. Chaplain Joshua Allee officiated. Military rites were by V.F. W. Post #3123.  The body will be cremated after services. Arrangements were under the direction of the Prugh-Dunfee Funeral Home in Grant City. 
--Written by Chandra (Allee) Hopkins

No comments: