Friday, October 2, 2020

Letter to the Editor -- A Successful Student

Jesse, you’ve always covered your stories and never sent someone out to do it. You were at my birthday party taking pictures of things I had brought during my teaching days. You took a picture of me and Evanell Havner. She reminded me that one of my former students, Connie Bunker of Excelsior Springs, would be contacting me because she thought I was a great teacher. Edward and Evanell Bunker are her parents. Edward passed away and Evanell eventually married Kay Havner.

I taught Connie the first year that I taught in Grant City because I taught the overflow of the first and the overflow of the second grade. That was a harder year for me, because I was teaching two grades.

Connie became a trained court reporter. She used her skills in arbitration in law firms. She worked up as a specialized division manager over several offices around the world. She and her husband have been married for 41 years.

When their daughter graduated from high school, she was recruited out of college to work for a defense organization. She’s now in Virginia outside of DC. She worked at the White House Situation Room for 3+ years and is now employed at the Pentagon and holds two positions with two different agencies. 

She said their son recently went into business with his uncle in an excavating company, and is fully licensed. They’re so busy, they have to turn down business. 

Her husband is an engineer and close to retirement.

The birthday card has a plastic dog filled with a glistening flat round felt thing around his neck; it says, “Party Animal.” She said I wanted something that glistened!


Evelyn Groom

Albany, MO


No comments: