Monday, June 13, 2022

Letters from Soldiers: World War I Letter from Howard Rybolt

Howard Rybolt subsequently became the long-time weather observer for Worth County.

Somewhere in France, November 20th, 1917

Dear Folks,

I am taking another opportunity to drop you a line and let you know I am still OK.

Gee, it has been a long time since I have been in the states. Sure will be glad when I get back. Think probably I will get back to the states sometime in January or February.

I celebrated by birthday and Thanksgiving at sea. I guess maybe it will be the same Christmas.

Tell everybody hello and that I would write all a letter, but I can’t write to everybody, so you can let them read this one.

When I joined the Navy, I weighed 132 pounds, but now, I pull down 18 more and reach 150. It isn’t such a bad life after all.

I am going to try and get a furlough after this trip and maybe I will get to come home in February some time.

Hoping this finds you all well and wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, I am, as ever, your son,

Howard


No comments: