Thursday, May 15, 2008

Setting in a Mousetrap, Pondering my Fate for May 21st, 2008

Soon to be over
This has to be one of the most interesting political seasons in my lifetime. More like a three ring circus. First it is the first time since 1952 an incumbent president or vice-president has not been one of the choices.
But now it seems as if there are skeletons in every closet. Obama is in trouble because of his former relationship to Rev. Wright. McCain is in trouble because of his association with President Bush and Hillary is in trouble because of her relationship with Bill. Right wing talk show host Glenn Beck even made light of McCain, 5-14-08. At least that is what the news is saying.
The senate on Tuesday, 5-13-08 voted 97-1 to stop filling the national emergency surplus, 70,000 gallons a day in hopes of lowing the price at the pump. The president is against it, but senators in the Republican Party; fearing the administration will hurt their chances for reelection in November, are trying to distance themselves from Bush. But if you like what we have, by all means vote for John McCain. As luck would have it, Congressman Graves draws closer to the president with each passing second.
Hillary is going to fight it out till the end. She reminds me of Robert Taylor, the last surviving American fighting the Japanese in the movie Bataan. In doing so Hillary will divide the Democratic Party. Her attitude is giving me all the more the sensation that I have done the correct thing in ending my former support for her. There is no doubt however Hillary Clinton will show up at the capitol, on inauguration day expecting to be sworn in. Many think that she and Obama need to be a ticket together. Hillary ran one administration as the first lady, now she could do it as vice-president. What Americans face in such a situation is a lot more difficulty than we can imagine. Hillary is not going to be put in a place of obscurity as being the Vice-President of the United States. If you don’t like Obama the best thing to do is make Hillary his vice-president.
Obama is faced with the problem of his name. Many think it is a bad sign that his middle name is Hussein. I knew a man who in 1994, when Dodge introduced their new line of trucks say, "I love the looks of the Dodge truck, but I won’t buy one because it is a Dodge." What he was really saying, if they put a Chevrolet emblem on it, there would be a sale. Does Obama have something to prove to the American people? Without a doubt yes. He has to prove that a black man has the brains to be president and the wisdom not to cause to much trouble. During the civil war the black man, until 1863 was disqualified from serving in the Union Army, simply because he was black. I want to say something more about this. I grew up in Chicago in the late 50’s and early 60’s.
The star for the Chicago Cubs was Ernie Banks. I never thought of Ernie Banks being black or white. I only thought of him as being great baseball player. Ernie is also a great person. Racism is not something you are born with, it is something taught to you. As a teenager I learned every race related derogatory term there is for blacks and others, being many. I believe that Barack Hussein Obama is just as good of a red, white and blue American as anyone. Not voting for a man because of his middle name makes about as much sense to me, as my getting rid of a friend in Minnesota because his name was Adolf. It is silly what we can use as a guide to like or not like of someone.
My feelings today are not who to vote for in November. My feelings are to vote or not to vote. I will go to the polls and vote for Kay Barnes for Congress, that is a given. Like I said, it is very interesting, and the future of America faces a crossroads. Go straight ahead and turn the corner. We need to get off of this road, we can’t afford the gas to drive on it and I wish Mr. Bush would have to go back to Texas by car at his own expense.

No comments: