Thursday, May 8, 2008

Setting in a Mousetrap, Pondering my Fate for May 14th

Maybe we did it all wrong
As a historian I look at the past and wonder if we really did it the right way, here in the good old USA. Did the south, before the civil war, have a valid point? Should the states have more power and the federal government less? That point however does not change my opinion being, the north had to win that war. If the south would have won the civil war, I have no doubt there would be more than two countries, on what is now the area of the United States, meaning at least three west of the Mississippi River. I also believe that if the south would have won the civil war, Hitler would have won World War II. "A house divided against itself cannot stand." The power of the United States is in the fact we are one country.
These thoughts came to me while reading Jeff Shara’s book, Rise to Rebellion. Before the official formation of the United States, at the signing of the constitution in 1789, the congress then meeting in Philadelphia, had to have their delegates wait for instruction from their home states before they could vote. In a certain way I felt a serge of; now there is representation of the people. What you might not know is that up until 1913, senators were sent to Washington by the vote of the legislatures of their home states and not by the people. Senators were entirely an employee of the states that sent them to Washington. Somehow I see some good in that, as we have it today, they have little, if any responsibility to their state legislatures, even more their people. In some ways I see it a problem but in the old way. Changing it opened up more problems. Also remember, it was not until 1919 that my grandmothers got to vote at all.
What most of these "upgrades," have done in reality is move the elected officials in Washington further away from their responsibility at home. Ask yourself a question, "Do you really think that your United States Senators give any care as to who you are or what you think?" The power of intimidation from Jefferson City is far more powerful than the voting public of the whole state. Before, if the senator upset Jefferson City, he came home, he was there to only to do what his legislature wanted him to do as dictated by the votes of the; at the time, men. Who were more closely responsible to the people at home. In some ways I see some good attributes to such a system. But it is gone and it won’t be back. Now all of your officials in Washington just kind of do what they want. Remember we don’t elected a representative anymore, we elect the platform of a party. Whoever gets the majority, will do what they want, no matter what most of the people back home think. If I am not right, when why are we still in Iraq?
I believe federal senators and congressmen wages should be paid for by the taxes of the state and not out of federal funds. As we do it now, we only continue to separate the senators from their states. Again all but a few are there to do the will of the country, they are there to do what they want. Answer this for me? Senators Clinton, McCain and Obama have been spouting what they are going to do if and when they are elected. How many times have they really ask what we want them to do? Are they listening to us?
The closer we get to the election, my usual enthusiasm is waning. My enthusiasm for Obama is drying up, and it has nothing to do with Rev. Wright. By the way where is the division of church and state in this? Why does Wright have so much power? McCain gives me the impression his slogan should be; "four more years." I mean of Bushism. I guess I can’t get enthused about a man who looks like Tim Conway. I know he was a POW, but this is not a good reason to be elected president. I feel like the day after the election I will be again blindfolded and taken to a place where I don’t know where I am going. In two years or so the blindfold will be taken off and I will see where I am. Wether I like it or not, well, nobody really cares. Those in office have got what they want, they don’t need you anymore, not until 2012.
Ask me sometime in late 2010 if we made the right decision in 2008.

No comments: