Sunday, June 19, 2011

Road Closing Information for Missouri River Flooding

The Missouri Department of Transportation has announced that the following roads have been closed or impacted due to flooding (changes are in bold):

ATCHISON COUNTY:

  • Route V near the Iowa state line is now underwater and closed to all traffic.
  • Interstate 29 is closed to all traffic (northbound) at mile marker 110. Traffic is being diverted at Exit 110 to U.S. 136.
  • U.S. 275 near Hamburg, IA is not underwater, but is closed to all but local traffic.
  • Route 111. Closed from Route Z in Atchison County to the town of Craig in Holt County.
  • U.S. 136 west of I-29 is underwater and closed to traffic. This blocks access to the Missouri River Bridge at Brownville.

HOLT COUNTY:

  • U.S. 159. Closed from Route P to the Nebraska state line. This blocks access to the Missouri River Bridge at Rulo. Recommended detour: U.S. 36 at St. Joseph.
  • Route 111. Closed from Route 118 to U.S. 159.
  • Route W. Closed from I-29 to Route 111.

For more information about this or other projects being handled by MoDOT, please call our toll-free customer service hotline at: 1-888-ASK-MoDOT (1-888-275-6636).

The following information is being forwarded by MoDOT on behalf of the Iowa DOT:

AMES, Iowa - June 18, 2011 - 8:30 p.m. - The Iowa Department of Transportation (DOT) is providing the following update on road conditions in western Iowa. The department is continuing to monitor at-risk areas as flood water levels change.

Turn Around Don't Drown®

Flooding is a dynamic situation, ever-changing throughout the day. Motorists need to take extra precautions when traveling in areas where flooding is occurring or predicted.

  • Use additional caution when traveling at night when it is difficult to see a flooded road ahead or water approaching the roadway from the side.
  • If you must travel on roadways where water is nearby, give your full attention to the driving task and expect vehicles ahead to slow down or make sudden stops.
  • Keep your focus on the road ahead, not on the water around you and adjust your speed for conditions.

Current road closures/restrictions

  • I-29 Hamilton Boulevard interchange in Woodbury County: The southbound I-29 interchange ramps at Hamilton Boulevard in Sioux City are closed. The northbound on- and off-ramps remain open. An alternative ramp has been constructed from southbound I-29 to Wesley Parkway/U.S. 77.
  • I-29 in Pottawattamie County: The south- and northbound lanes of I-29 between milepost 55 (North 25th Street in Council Bluffs) and the I-29/680 interchange at milepost 71 (near Loveland) are closed. This is expected to be a longer-term closure.
  • I-29 in Fremont County, Iowa, and Atchison County, Mo: I-29 is closed in both directions from Iowa 2 (exit 10 in Iowa) to the U.S. 136 interchange in Missouri (near Rock Port). This is expected to be a longer-term closure.
  • UPDATE: I-29 exit and entrance ramps in Fremont County: All I-29 exit and entrance ramps at exit 20 near Thurman are closed.
  • I-680 in Omaha area: I-680 is closed from the I-29/680 interchange (exit 61 near Crescent) in Iowa to North 30th Street in Omaha, Neb. (exit 13). This closure includes the Mormon Bridge across the Missouri River. This is expected to be a longer-term closure.
  • UPDATE: Iowa 2 in Fremont County: Iowa 2 is closed from I-29 in Iowa to Nebraska City. Both east-and westbound lanes are closed. This is expected to be a longer-term closure.
  • Iowa 333 in Hamburg: Iowa 333 is closed from I-29 into Hamburg. Access to Hamburg is currently available via U.S. 275 in Iowa.

Highway segments at higher risk of being closed due to flooding

  • I-29 near Blencoe: Two segments of I-29 remain at risk of being impacted by flood waters in this area: (1) near milepost 103.5 south of Blencoe; and (2) near milepost 107 north of Blencoe.
  • I-29 and U.S. 30 near Missouri Valley: Locally sponsored agricultural levees provide some measure of protection for this area. Flooding is contingent on the integrity of the levee system, rising ground water and the impact of tributary water flow from a local creek. Three highway segments are at most risk in this area: (1) U.S. 30 west of I-29 between mileposts 7 and 8; (2) U.S. 30 east of I-29 between mileposts 9 and 10; and (3) I-29 between mileposts 77 and 78.
  • U.S. 34: U.S. 34 between I-29 in Iowa and Plattsmouth, Neb.
  • Iowa 175 near Onawa: The highway segments most at risk of flooding are west of I-29. This route serves as the river crossing between Onawa, Iowa, and Decatur, Neb.

Being monitored

  • I-29 northbound off-ramp to Dace Avenue in Sioux City (exit 147B or commonly known as the Downtown/Tyson Events Center): Flood mitigation efforts will be deployed to try to keep this ramp open.
  • I-29 northbound and southbound lanes in Sioux City at the U.S. 77/Wesley Parkway underpass (between exits 148 and 149): Flood mitigation efforts will be deployed to try to prevent this low area from being flooded.
  • I-29, from south of Bellevue (milepost 39) to Iowa 2 (milepost 10): This area is at a lesser risk, but would be inundated if the levee is breached or overtopped.
  • Iowa 127 near Mondamin: The Iowa DOT is monitoring areas east and west of Mondamin, near mileposts 0.8 and 1.5, but the risk of flooding has been reduced.
  • Iowa 376 (U.S. 75 Business): The roadway from Gordon Drive to Third Street in Sioux City may be closed if current pumping efforts are not sustainable.

Missouri River crossings

The Iowa DOT is expecting the Missouri River crossings at the following locations to remain open during the flooding:

  • Sioux City: U.S. 77/U.S.20 to South Sioux City, Neb.; U.S. 75/U.S. 20/I-129 to Nebraska; and I-29 over the Big Sioux River into South Dakota
  • Council Bluffs/Omaha: I-80 to Omaha; I-480 to downtown Omaha; and U.S. 275 to south Omaha
  • Bellevue: Iowa 370 (weight restriction in place)

Key traveler information resources

  • Iowa DOT's flood information call center 866-452-8510, open from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily, speak to an operator for travel assistance
  • Road condition information 24 hours a day: visit www.511ia.org, or call 511 (in Iowa) or 800-288-1047 (outside of the state) for a recorded message of road closures

No comments: