Thursday, June 19, 2008

Setting in a Mousetrap, Pondering my Fate for June 25th, 2008

Somebody over there must actually be able to think.
The news this week? The Saudis feel that the price of oil in to high.
Yes, the Saudis look to the future and see Americans not buying oil from them. They had heard us. If they don’t quit ripping us off, they are going to find they have no customers for their oil. Didn’t take long for them to put two and two together, and you want to know the real truth of the matter? They are right. The Saudis are going to start pumping more oil in hope that other countries will do the same and the price will come down.
Here is where they are wrong. Americans have seen the future and I hope we will end that quote by saying, "it is ours." The Saudis also think we will slow down in our quest for alternative fuels. I wish I could live long enough to see the day when oil is an alternative fuel. It is not hard to believe that the world is controlled by oil interests and we made one of them the most powerful men in the world. We now hold our breath in anticipation of the day coming soon that Bush will not be president anymore.
(Please do not send me that tired joke about the man who calls Bush and asks to speak with the president and Bush finally says, "I am not president anymore," to which the caller replies, "I just needed to hear that." I have heard that one applied to several other candidates and it is not funny to me. I have lost a few friends over such "humor." Although I do look forward to that day, January, 2009, I don’t want to hear any jokes making fun of politicians.)
Back to my story: The oil barons have actually done us some favors. We will become used to driving less and maybe more responsibly. Not driving hurts the economy, but in reality it saves us a lot of money to pay off our other debts. Don’t tell me you don’t have any. An automobile is the second biggest investment we make, how much money do we save if we are so tired of high oil prices that our cars last longer. How much money would you save it you bought a new car every seven years instead of every five years? That is just an example. High oil has cured this boy of new car fever.
Less driving of course means lessens pollution. I wonder how long it will be before people in Los Angeles will be able to see the sun? Think of how driving less will help the environment and maybe prolong the danger of global warming; that is to you who believe in such a thing.
High oil prices could even in fact to be the savior of the small town. I drive; as my second car a 1998 GMC Somona. I bought it about three years ago, it gets 22 mpg on the road. I now think at least twice about going to Bedford to the grocery or have supper.
So now what do we do? Alternative fuels are right around the corner. I believe the spike in fuel prices is the proof of that. "They are getting it while they can," my best friend says. They know the day will soon upon us we don’t need them anymore. As I said, I hope to see it.
The Arabs have forced us to be better. That is how we got through the oil problems of the 1970’s; boy do I miss those land yachts. We did it before and we will do it again. God bless America, the people have spoken.

No comments: