Monday, June 9, 2008

Letter to the Editor -- Kudos to the Editor

When the phone rang early this morning, I was not expecting the call to be from sixteen hundred miles away. But a friend in California could not wait ‘till later in the day to call and tell me he had just received his first copy of the Sheridan Express. Although Jack lives in the shadow of Los Angeles, I don’t hold that against him, and I think that given the right motivation, he would most likely make a good country boy. I first met Jack about twenty five plus years ago when we both worked with Larry Murphy in California. We have now gone down different roads, but we still keep in touch. Somewhere in our phone conversations, he will ask me how I’m dealing with the Missouri weather, and I’ll ask him how he is dealing with California politics. Later, I’ll inject that while we were speaking, the weather got better and how is his politics doing.
Jack has come to know the Sheridan area by my verbal description and pictures I have sent him and will ask me about things and events most people in California have never heard about, so when his birthday came around, I thought that he might just enjoy a weekly update from a source somewhat more reliable than myself. Oh, yes! I don’t want to say how old Jack is, but I heard his baby mattress was stuffed with pterodactyl feathers.
Anyway, Mr. Editor, my friend liked his birthday gift. I did not have to drive around and burn gas to find it. Nor did I need to wrap it. It keeps on giving all year long, and I think my friend from 1600 miles away is a little closer now. Jack thanks you; I thank you.
Keep up the good work.

Mickey Floyd
Sheridan West

No comments: