Monday, March 18, 2024

Opinion -- Adam James Announces Run for Nodaway County Sheriff

By Adam James

I, Adam James, proudly announce my official Republican candidacy for Nodaway County Sheriff.  Seeking this office was not an easy decision and one that I do not take lightly.  I believe it is a privilege and not an entitlement to hold such office.  I fully accept the responsibilities that come with earning your respect and trust each day. 

My journey as a law enforcement officer has been guided by a desire to serve the community and make a positive impact both on and off the job.  With hard work, dedication, and unwavering commitment, I am confident in my ability to lead and protect the people of this great county. I believe there is room for growth in how the Nodaway County Sheriff’s Office currently serves the public.  

I am excited to take on this new challenge and serve the residents of the county as diligently as I have the residents of Maryville.  I am passionate about people, our community, and its future.  I consider myself to be a purpose driven public servant.  Now more than ever, we need strong leadership that is focused with a purpose to serve others above self.  

All citizens within Nodaway County deserve to live in a safe community and be served by a law enforcement agency with the highest standards and values.  As your next Sheriff, my first priority will be implementing a standard of performance in all staff. This will be built upon a commitment of top-down accountability, standard of excellence, hard work, doing what is right, showing respect for others, being fair and consistent, having integrity and being transparent.

I will be a Sheriff that holds others accountable, including those that work for the office. Transparency is a term we hear a lot now days but is not seen in government very often.  I will be a sheriff that will be involved every day, lead my staff, and not turn a blind eye or ignore problems.  I WILL be available to meet with citizens when requested. 

I will not only be a working Sheriff, but a hard-working Sheriff. I will spend time in patrol cars with deputies.  I will not just work a typical day shift Monday through Friday.  Although I do understand the role of Sheriff is an administrative role, I firmly believe there is an abundance of time to get out and work hard in the county.  This includes skipping some day shifts and working some evenings, overnights and weekends.   

Public Safety is truly my life’s calling.  Although the role of law enforcement is to protect and not punish, I ensure my office will put in the work needed on each call to present the best possible case for proper prosecution and closure.  No matter how small your problem may be in the grand scheme of things, you will clearly recognize your problem is our number one priority and we will take it serious.  We will accomplish this together as a team along with our partners on the local, state, and federal level when necessary.

There will be times major cases or incidents will occur in our community.  I have built those critical relationships far and wide and will never be too proud to reach out for help if needed.  I have a great working relationship with all law enforcement agencies that surround us.  This includes our neighbors to the north in Iowa.  

A few highlights over the course of my career: 

--I have over 16 years of law enforcement experience.

--I have over 800 hours of documented training since graduating the academy in 2006.

--I have countless hours of additional training that were not POST approved trainings, but have still aided in my working knowledge of law enforcement. 

--I have over 600 arrests without being named in a lawsuit or defending wrongdoing.

--I have attended and completed two separate interview/interrogation week long courses.

--I have attended and completed two separate investigator week long courses.

--I have completed training to become a Certified Voice Stress Analysis Examiner. This is an instrument used during an investigation to determine if a suspect is being deceptive or truthful.  I am one of two that holds this certification in our area.

--I have completed intense training to become a Certified Cellebrite Operator and Cellebrite Physical Analyst which has been used to assist in clearing some of the worst crimes in Northwest Missouri.  This is high end computerized equipment for the forensic examination of digital evidence such as cellular phones.  I have been doing such work since 2009.  I am the only one in our area and have been for many years that holds this certification.  

--I have recovered nearly $750,000.00 in monies through the years in which people were defrauded by means of scams, fraud and embezzlement.  These are cases that take a lot of time and attention to detail.  One case alone can require numerous subpoenas and search warrants to find where that money is hiding and recover it.   

--I have successfully worked cases ranging from homicides clear down to incidents of simple property damage.

--I have a very high clearance rate on cases and investigations.

--I have been called on repeatedly to assist with complex cases by outside agencies such as the Nodaway County Sheriff’s Office, NWMSU Police Department, Holt County Sheriff’s Office, Atchison County Sheriff’s Office, Rock Port Police Department, Tarkio Police Department, Worth County Sheriff’s Office, Gentry County Sheriff’s Office, and the Taylor County Iowa Sheriff’s Office.  

--I have successfully worked with outside agencies, prosecutors and judges to secure search warrants in their jurisdiction and assist in serving them to clear cases that originally occurred in Maryville.

--I have rose through the ranks at Maryville Public Safety achieving the current title of Detective at the rank of Sergeant.   

--I am a recipient of numerous letters of commendation professionally and by members of the public.  

As a candidate for Nodaway County Sheriff, I encourage everyone to put their family first and take a hard look at each candidate. Do not take a quick look, but really dig around.  You will then see who has the most diverse experience, who has the most training and who truly has worked well with others.  

If you will do that, then I have no doubt you will agree and support me as the best qualified candidate for Nodaway County Sheriff.

The Sheridan Express welcomes letters and opinion pieces from all candidates for Nodaway County Sheriff along with their supporters. They do not necessarily reflect the views of the Sheridan Express, the Sheridan Express cooperative, its Board of Directors, or any organizer. Publication does not mean endorsement. All letters must be signed; we cannot accept anonymous letters for publication. The Sheridan Express reserves the right to edit or reject submissions. 


No comments: