Sunday, August 28, 2011

McCaskill Statement on Cuts to Missouri Disaster Relief Funds

U.S. Senator Claire McCaskill released the following statement following a decision by the Federal Emergency Management Administration to redirect funding from Joplin and other Missouri areas that have received federal disaster declarations, to communities impacted by Hurricane Irene.



"Days ago I walked the streets of Joplin. I saw construction projects where rubble had been, I saw parks where trees had toppled, and I saw a community trying to heal and rebuild -- I didn't see any camera trucks. I warned FEMA and assured victims in Joplin that they would not be forgotten after the camera trucks lowered their antennas and rolled out of town, I will fight to make sure that promise is kept. FEMA should be prepared for all types of disasters and have the resources to respond rapidly and stay until the work is done, and until the community is made whole again."

1 comment:

Joyce Pride said...

Have yet to figure out what she is good for.