Monday, March 17, 2008

Walk 1440 for March 19th

by Jeff Blaine, pastor, Sheridan Christian Church
Has someone ever gotten under your skin?
This person just irritates you…you think of them all the time…they invade your thoughts all day…you find yourself avoiding them or even desiring to see them hurt…why?…because they hurt you.
Then you can probably relate to this guy…Vindicate me, O God, and plead my cause against an ungodly nation; rescue me from deceitful and wicked men. Psalm 43:1
When people lie to us, treat us horribly, & just have behaviors that hurt us…we feel entitled to vindication…we want to be proved right that we don’t deserve that treatment…isn’t that what we say under our breath?… "I don’t deserve this…!"
It gets so bad in our mind that we find our self asking the question "where are you God?...Why aren’t you here?...why do I have to put up with the tears from the pain I’m receiving from this situation?"
Does this sound similar…? You are God my stronghold. Why have you rejected me? Why must I go about mourning, oppressed by the enemy? Psalm 43:2
Where does your mind usually go at this point? Do you continue to bathe yourself in resentment, bitterness, anger, distrust, & the pain of that moment?
Have you tried to "dry off" from those things only to find yourself bathing in the same "dirt" all over again? Has this cycle repeated itself over & over throughout your life with people; then doubting God? Would you like to change the cycle?
Send forth your light and your truth, let them guide me; let them bring me to your holy mountain, to the place where you dwell. Psalm 43:3
When we focus on the presence of people in our life to give joy…we are going to get hurt…we are going to experience pain…I think this guy knew that…he is moving from resentment of people to seeking the presence of God…he is ready to break the cycle by following something different…God’s light & truth…not his own darkened thoughts…what would keep you from turning from your dark thoughts?…it could be you fear the destination
Then will I go to the altar of God, to God, my joy and my delight. I will praise you with the harp, O God, my God. Psalm 43:4
The destination is the altar of God…why is that scary? An altar is synonymous with sacrifice…sacrifice means you give something up & don’t get it back…it’s gone…never to return
When God leads us to His altar…He is asking you to sacrifice your "resentful moment" to Him…He is asking you to recognize that He is the only authority in your life…He is leading you to understand that when we sacrifice our "resentful moments" to Him…they are no longer ours but His…you simply have to give Him authority
The problem? We don’t want to give up authority…we think we have authority when we hold onto our bitterness…the reality is…when we dwell on our bitterness towards people…we don’t have authority in our lives…they do
Read the verse again…do you want what follows after going to the altar of God?
There are 1440 minutes in a day…WALK1440 at the altar…sacrificing for joy

No comments: