Sunday, March 16, 2008

Opinion: Give council credit.

Opinions are those of the writers and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the editor of the Sheridan Express.





by Mary Jo Hawk
For those of you in town who do not know me, I am a home grown product of 24 years; the only time I moved away was to get a college education. I have been a member of the Community Betterment Club for many years and I have been President for the past 2 years. I spend countless hours for CBC along with working two jobs and taking care of my family. Through CBC I have helped along with many others bring money making events to this community.
I would like to thank the current and past city council members for the accomplishments they have achieved for the city, because without their vote, the city mayor wouldn't be able to accomplish things alone.For those who have never been to a city council meeting I would like to quickly explain how it works. The mayor is the head of the meeting and the 4 council members have to approve all issues by a majority vote in order for them to happen; the only time the mayor gets to vote on an issue is when there is a tie.
I would also like to point out that Old Defiance days brings in a lot business for this town and for some organizations it is the only money making event of the year and for the past many years the city has had no part in that event; it is organized by the CBC and is the effort of a few community members.
I do want to point out that I am not trying to make a name for myself; I would like to see this community that I like to call home last and be thought of as a good town that people would like to come to. I don't want to spend city money I would like to see it allocated to the proper departments and the city be able to apply for grants, but there is also a point when you have to spend a little money to get some in return.
When credit is to to be given for accomplishments of the city the whole city council should be praised, not just the mayor. If it weren't for the citizens of this town along with businesses and taxpayers there wouldn’t be a city to call home.

No comments: