Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Senator Brad Lager: Capitol Report for March 25th, 2009

Early Childhood Learning – The Foundation for Success
I believe that our state government’s number one priority should be the education of Missouri’s students. Because it is a sizable portion of our state budget, it frequently becomes a point of contention as we deliberate how much to spend and how the dollars will be allocated. Legislators, school board members, administrators, teachers, and parents all want the very best for our children and we are constantly working to enhance student learning and achievement.
Since my first day in elected office, I have sought to learn all I can about the education system in our state. I have worked to understand what programs have proven to be successful and which have not. Following years of reading, listening, and learning, I have become a strong proponent in early childhood education programs. I am a firm believer that the sooner our children are exposed to learning opportunities, the greater their chance for success. A child’s intelligence, curiosity, language skills, and social skills are established in their early years and research has confirmed that a child’s most influential years of learning occur before the age of five. Failure to develop these skills during this crucial time can lead to unnecessary learning challenges in later years.
For six years, I studied our educational programs from an academic and analytical point of view. Nearly 18 months ago, that all changed when our daughter Addison was born. As a new father, I have seen first-hand the way she soaks up information like a sponge. I watch her learn as she attempts new tasks, fails, and tries again until she gets it right. Through our experience with Parents as Teachers and by watching her develop and learn, there is no doubt in my mind that the most important influence in early childhood learning is parental involvement.
We have an amazing opportunity to prepare our children for success, not just in school but throughout their lives. When placed in the proper environment, we lay the foundation for life long learning. That is why I believe so strongly in programs like Parents as Teachers and early childhood pre-school education. The education of Missouri’s children has always been my top priority and I will continue to fight to ensure that every child in Missouri has the opportunity for a quality education.
As always, please feel free to call, email, or write with your ideas or concerns. The Capitol number is (573) 751-1415, my email is brad.lager@senate.mo.gov and my mailing address is Room 429, State Capitol Building, Jefferson City, MO 65101.

No comments: