Sunday, November 9, 2008

Jack Remembers for 11-12-08

Deven Andrew Fulks was born three years ago last Sunday. He had a birthday party at the Broadway Grill, a restaurant run by his grandparents on Sunday afternoon when the restaurant was closed. The place was packed.
That kid got everything, toy trucks, clothes, a Spiderman toothbrush, a herd of horses, markers, games, books, and a battery operated John Deere tractor that he can ride on and it even pulls a trailer.
I watch Deven at church before the service while the choir is practicing. His grandmother is the church organist. Deven helps me put candy in a dish for the kids. One Sunday he sat patiently while I tried to get a package of Hershey Miniature Chocolates open. He desperately needed one of those Hershey bars. The only problem was that I couldn’t get the thing open. I was pulling on that plastic package and finally Deven said, "Bite it, Jack, bite it!"
One Sunday the candy bowl was empty and the preacher came by and said, "Jack, I had to dump your candy out. It was full of ants." Hearing that, Deven said, "We’ve got ants at our house, too." His mother doesn’t appreciate me telling that story.
This boy got more toys Sunday afternoon than my three kids had their entire childhood. I don’t really believe it’s a good idea for a three year old to get that many toys. What are they going to expect the next birthday and the year after that. By the time they are sixteen you’d have to buy the kid a Mercedes Benz convertible. They cleared a path through the restaurant for this boy to drive the tractor and he was flying down the isle when all of a sudden he hit the table with the ketchup bottles and they landed on the floor making a heck of a mess. Well, it serves them right. Buying all those expensive toys.
Whoa! Wait a minute! It was my wife Laura and I who gave him the battery operated John Deere tractor.

No comments: