Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Jack Remembers for 3-4-09

When I was a kid I fought in the Golden Gloves two years, never won, but did win a regional tournament in Chillicothe. I was also on Kansas City’s Boxing Team put together by well known boxing coach Bubble Klice. He paid $50.00 expense money for each fight we fought. We had fights all over the area including Des Moines, Wichita, and Oklahoma City. I had an impressive win record, which proved to be much more successful than my fight record in some of the beer joints I patronized in my drinking days.
One night I was at the Fun Haven beer joint located near Blue Springs, when a huge mean 250 pound man ran across the dance floor and hit me in the mouth. I did a double flip off my chair and almost bled to death. I’ve still got scars from that night.
Luckily, I had drinking buddies who were better fighters than me. One of them had lost his arm in a wood chipping machine and had a wooden arm with a hook. He had been in a fight in a bar one time and was told by a judge the hook was a deadly weapon and he was not to hit anyone with it. The judge didn’t say anything about the heavy wooden arm the hook was screwed in to.
One evening we were at a night club on 40 Highway when my buddy came back to the table, unscrewed the hook and put it in his pocket stating that there was going to be trouble. Apparently, a tough guy at the bar was a brother to our waitress and he didn’t like something said to her by someone at our table, and here he came. My buddy stood up and tapped the guy on the shoulder with his heavy wooden arm. You could hear that guy’s collar bone pop clear across the nightclub. Now, if there is one thing that gets a tough guy’s mind off fighting, it’s to have his collar bone broken before he can throw the first punch.

No comments: