Monday, August 11, 2008

Straight Talk with Sam Graves for August 13th, 2008

Standing up for Veterans
This country is great and we enjoy the freedoms that we have today because of the sacrifices of our veterans. All of our veterans have given completely to the cause of freedom, and I am committed to standing up for our veterans in Congress.
Since I came to Congress in 2001, funding for veterans programs has increased by over 95%. I have voted to enhance health care benefits for reservists deployed to active duty and increase funding for military family housing. Last year, Congress passed and I voted for nearly $3 billion for mental health care. I strongly believe that we have a commitment to our veterans and I intend to keep it.
Keeping our promises to our veterans means making sure they have the best available care. I co-sponsored a bi-partisan bill with Ike Skelton, called the Wounded Warriors Act that addressed the care received by our veterans. The legislation also makes comprehensive improvements to medical care, and the administrative processes associated with American troops wounded or injured in combat.
One of the most important things we can do is to help our veterans transition from protecting our freedoms to contributing to our economy. This year I voted for a 21st Century GI Bill to give veterans access to a four year college education. The GI Bill of the World War II era sparked economic growth and expansion, and by giving our veterans the education and support they need, we increase their opportunities as well as build our economy.
I will continue to stand up for our veterans.

No comments: