Thursday, February 21, 2013

Jack Remembers -- Beer Can Conservation

     Someone ran into my daughter-in-law who lives in Columbia.  The insurance company totaled the car so she had to buy a new car.  Since they have another car, I suggested they buy a Ford F-150 pickup truck made right here in Kansas City and told her two close friends of mine work there.  When she said they had decided to buy another car and were looking at a Subaru, I then suggested a Buick LaCrosse or a Chevrolet Malibu made in Kansas City, Kansas.  Both cars have won all kinds of awards and are two of the best cars made in America.  We also have several people from Oak Grove who work at the General Motors Fairfax plant. 
     When I was growing up, anything with “Made in Japan” on it meant it was cheap, inexpensive, and poor quality.  When I was in the Army, a good friend of the family learned I was in Japan, and sent me twenty dollars to buy a pair of binoculars.  I was putting them in a box to send to him when they fell out and hit the floor.  One of the big glass lenses fell off and the black sleeve it was attached to sprang open.  On the inside it said, “Schlitz Beer”. 
     I found out one thing, you cannot insult an owner of a foreign car.  My wife Laura bought a Smart car, made somewhere in Europe by Mercedes Benz.  She is always wanting me to drive her to the doctor in the Smart car because she can’t get in my four wheel drive F-150 very easily.  I tell her I hate to be seen driving anything but American made vehicles.  She then asks me how many miles to the gallon I get with my Ford pickup.  “I get over 40”, she says.
     My daughter in law bought a Subaru manufactured in Japan.  When I told her it was made out of old beer cans, she replied, “I like companies who practice conservation, particularly those that recycle cans.”
Jack can be reached at PO Box 40, Oak Grove, MO 64075 or jackremembers@aol.com.  Visit www.jackremembers.com

No comments: