Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Jack Remembers -- Responses to Army Caste System

I wrote an article about my thoughts pertaining to the military. How the Army is like a caste system with three classes, the lowest one the E.M.’s (Private, PFC, and Corporal). Another class being the Sergeants (NCO’s) and the privileged or ruling class, the officers. I guess readers thought it would be unpatriotic to comment about the military in this manner because I did not get any response as I thought I would from retired officers. However, I finally got an e-mail from Darlene (Kidd) Schumacher, Alma, MO. Her response backs up exactly the point I was trying to make.

I enjoy your column very much and can relate to a lot of the events you talk about. Since you didn’t get feed-back about the caste system-social snobbery in the service I have to tell of my experience.
When my late husband came home from Korea in 1952 (He was the boyfriend then), he had six more months to serve-we got married and went to Fort Lewis for a couple of weeks and then to Fort Worden which was at Port Townsend, Washington. I worked in the Post Engineer’s office. There was another young wife working there-we were friendly and compatible. I suggested we get together as couples, she made it clear this isn’t done. Her husband was a Sergeant, mine was a Corporal. We’re not talking Generals.
That base has been closed for a long time, I think it is a park now. It was the location for the movie “Officer and a Gentleman”.


She finished her letter by saying “Another thing: When I was a child-probably in the 40’s-my Grandparents lived in Higginsville, they had a “roomer” named Hackley. There used to be Hackleys at Waverly.
Please don’t use this for a column, I have wanted many times to respond to your articles, I really enjoy them. Darlene (Kidd) Schumacher Alma, MO


I get a lot of letters and would never violate a request not to print a letter. However, I called Darlene up and explained to her this was a good story and everyone would enjoy reading it. She finally consented and gave me permission to use the letter and her name.

Jack can be reached at PO Box 40, Oak Grove, MO 64075, or jackremembers@aol.com. Visit www.jackremembers.com

No comments: