Tuesday, April 1, 2008

WALK 1440 for April 2nd, 2008

There is a creature out there that has chased me for years…
I don’t always know how it gets started on my trail but it finds me…
Just when I think I have lost its beady focus on me…I sense it stalking me…I run hard to escape its grasp…it is relentless…it won’t stop until it devours me…its breathe is hot & acrid on the back of my neck…I’m exhausted from running…I can’t take much more…I’m near ready to give up…this creature…this animal…is a lie
Reality Check? Lies happen…we desperately want to be rid of the lie about us but try as we might…people still believe the lie about us…our credibility…our peace of mind…our desire for acceptance by people all have faded away like the sun on a cloudy day…
Welcome to Psalm 63…King David is running for his life…pursued relentlessly by a lie & a sword…both seek to take his life…what would you do?
Defend yourself? Lash back? Grow embitter? Sing "I’m a victim" to whoever will listen? Wallow in the pain of a lie? Believe the lie about yourself? Start a lie about the liar?
Get revenge? …all these "seem right" to do…
What would motivate you to do these things? The lie & the liar…
Please understand…that whatever motivates you has power in your life…
When you do these things…guess who has the power? The lie & the liar…
Is that what you want?
Listen to David’s response to the lie & the liar: O God, You are my God:
I shall seek You earnestly; my soul thirst for You,
my flesh yearns for You, in a dry & weary land where there is no water. Psalm 63:1
The lie & the liar are not even mentioned…why does David seek God?
Because he is thirsty for acceptance, for relief from the lie & the liar, for kindness in a cruel world…listen to what David has found in God…
Because Your lovingkindness is better than life, My lips will praise You…my soul is satisfied…my mouth offers praises with joyful lips…You have been my help…Psalm 63:3,5,7
Isn’t that what you want? Love…kindness…satisfaction…joyful lips…help
How did David get these things?
My soul clings to You; Your right hand upholds me…Psalm 63:8
David clung to God not the lie & the liar…what are you clinging too?
David now stands in the hand of God…far above the noise of the lie & the liar
…who has the power now?
When we choose to seek God out for acceptance…we get acceptance…what happens to the lie & the liar when the God of the universe is the only power I allow in my life?
For the mouths of those who speak lies will be stopped Psalm 63:11
Isn’t that what you want?
There are 1440 minutes in a day…WALK1440 clinging to God

No comments: