Thursday, April 10, 2008

Setting in a Mousetrap, Pondering my Fate for April 16th

Is it all about money isn’t it?
The news carried the reports of Senator Obama raising 40 million dollars recently to Senator Clinton’s 20 million. This, for some reason means the one with the most money will win the office. Is there a date, like the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November that the one with the most money will go to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue? Sounds more like a game show than an election. I wish it was all about the best candidate, I wish there was a clearly best candidate. I am reminded of what Nikita Khrushchev said about John F. Kennedy. "If that is the leader of America, I feel sorry for those people." Just for the fun of it what do the Russians think of our election? My friend in New Jersey thinks all of our candidates are fools. She does not want Hillary or Barrack, she thinks the presidency is not a place for a woman, or an African-American. Historically, since maybe FDR or HST. America has not really impressed the world with its leadership. If we did anything to impress the world, it is the power of our military behind the man in office. Now it seems this doesn’t impress them anymore; at least not since Korea. Not to Monday morning quarterback Harry Truman, he didn’t drop a bomb on North Korea because of fear of starting World War III. He knew that Joe Stalin wanted WWIII and the only thing that really turned a hot war into a cold war was Stalin’s death. My New Jersey friend told me her father was a real supporter of Stalin, she said she never understood it and never agreed her father, but she could not change his mind; some day soon I will write why the man felt as he did, I was really interested to learn. I bet Joe Stalin never had to raise money to remain in office.
What it all boils down to for me is, all this raising money for the presidency is like bidding on a woman. The one with the most cash wins. I really hate to see the one with the most money win. I don’t count their money, I listen to their message. I try to feel if I trust them or not.
Moving on. If you live in Iowa I feel sorry for you. The Des Moines Register, Monday, April 7,2008 reported the state has lost a lot of revenue because the price of gasoline and people driving less. Now they want to raise license and document fees to recover part of it. I always believed that when I made a little extra money in life, somebody knew it was there and took it from me. I think you know the feeling. This my friends is not fair. They feel in Iowa, "since your not going to spend it at the pump you can give it to us." Like they haven’t figured out we quit spending it at the pump because we don’t have it.
If I lived in Iowa the message should be sent to Des Moines. This is not our problem and you can’t just tax us more when you are short of money. That has always been government’s approach to collection of revenue. It stinks, it needs to stop. The message should be sent clearly, if this new measure is put into motion, all of those who supported it will be in the unemployment line: What they belong. Their reasoning is there is not enough money to fix the roads. If we aren’t going to drive on them, why fix them? This whole argument reminds me of the British Stamp Act of the 1770’s. If we need money we just tax you. Well as far as I am concerned, if I have to spend the money anyway I’d rather put it in the gas tank. If the state of Iowa wants to do something for the common man, why not lower the gas tax a penny? But they don’t. What ties these two complaints together is the fact, they don’t. The giving is only one way. I was going to say like taking care of my cat, but my cat did give me a lot of affection.
It is all about money, he who has money has power. In the military system in the 18th and early 19th century and even during the American Civil War, you were not given an officer’s commission because of your ability to lead, it was because of your pocket book or political influence. If you don’t believe me, study up on a guy named Dan Sickles. He wasn’t the only one.
Please don’t let advertising tell you how to vote and in hard times, NO NEW TAXES. NO INCREASED TAXES.

No comments: